Friday, September 01, 2006

As long as we're on the subject...

First it was Jessica, showing us how truly odd some fashion statements can be and then came Ryan, confessing certain 'queasiness' around all things Sock Monkey. While I'm reserving judgment on the gowns (no, I'm not! They're grotesque but good for a laugh, as was THIS...uh...gown, and perhaps Bjork can be persuaded by her 'dresser' to take another chance on animal themes, who knows?) I will confide that I bought yarn specifically for a Sock Monkey sweater.

I think it turned out rather well. I used Unpatterns #6 Top-Down Sweater. I took a class on this pattern from Karen Alfke, the designer, at Madrona Fiber Arts in Gig Harbor about 2 years ago. It's a truly inspired pattern that I highly recommend. I made the little monkey suit with the same pattern (changing the numbers of course.)



I've made a half-dozen sweaters from this pattern, love them all and teach a class on it occasionally myself. Unpatterns are available at several LYS's and if you can't find them, ask the owner to order this one for you.




P.S. Ryan, Mary B. wanted you to know she's a Sock Monkey fan as well. This is hers:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the sweater and the monkey rocks! good seeing both of you last night.

vanessa said...

your sweater is cute, and i am jealous that marti got to see you both ;-)

Rebecca said...

Love the sock monkey sweater! But, do you carry the sock monkey around with you when you wear it?