Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Dye Day

We had another one this last Saturday with the Friday Knitters, plus a couple of Guest Knitters. Eight of us dyed quite a bit of fiber and yarn, some of it is shown below. The weather was cold but it didn't rain, what a bonus for Seattle Dyers in March especially since we were outside on EmBe's patio. We even got a little sun and some of us sat and knit in the patch of sunlight. Our potluck made for a much needed mid-day break, with an outrageous apple crisp for desert from Evanne and wonderful salads from everyone else. Yum.

After lunch Evanne started a big Indigo pot.

Her yarn was periwinkle.
Results of the first dip:

Spin it out.
Squeeze out more.
Evanne and Peggy swoosh it around
to get oxygen into it,
which makes it the true color.

Evanne adds a little of this or that
to make the Indigo more active.

Dipped a second time and squeezed,
jiggled to make it the real color,
slightly darker than the first dip.

Below, Peggy's Merino Top dyed
in the same pot of Indigo.
It's lighter on the inside and should
be a lovely variegated when spun.

Duranee's Lincoln roving from
the Indigo bath.

Reclaimed Lana D'Oro, from a
sweater I frogged.
Resting in the last bit of color
in the cochineal pot.
Rinsed once.
My 33% Merino, 66% Mohair,
handspun 2-ply.
Simmering in Mother MacKenzie's Miracle Dye ~
2 colors we mixed: aubergine and raspberry.
Slightly dry, showing better color.
Dry, it still seems to have that lovely shine.
El K's sprinkle method
with powdered dye.
Peeking under to see what's happening.
Finished and laid out to dry.

10 comments:

PICAdrienne said...

It is all so very pretty. The indigo dye really facinates me.

Melanie said...

You Yarn Girls sure do know how to have fun. What gorgeous colours!

Anonymous said...

We're so frigging cool. MaryB

Denise said...

I wish I lived closer to all you cool kids up North!

Hmmm, this reminds me that I have some freeze-dried indigo somewhere down in the basement of wool. Maybe I should dig it up and give this a go with some of my roving.

Love the jiggly, swooshy skein pics!

Anonymous said...

I agree with denise - the swooshy skein pics are like art! All the colors are yummy.

~RaenWa~ said...

That indigo color is so beautiful & your aubergine and raspberry color is goregous I love it.. I can't wait to try dying yarn

vanessa said...

you two are just having too much fun!

Carrie said...

That was such a neat blog entry! I loved learning about the dye-ing. I can't wait to get into it myself! It looks like you guys have so much knowledge, though, I'd better go get a book. You came out with beautiful colors!

Anonymous said...

I have studiously avoided temptation to even consider spinning or dyeing (after all, who has enough time just to knit?!), but this post surely makes dyeing very tempting -- absolutely luscious! And you're hitting me when I'm craving color intensity beyond what many dyers produce. (I *could* dye my own...couldn't I?!...No -- No -- No! Must resist!!) Darn you, Yarn Girls!

Ilix said...

Wow, looks like a fun day! Awesome colours!